Eye tracking and head tracking technology are two input technology are closely related to each other and provide a new powerful way for users to communicate with their computers, especially for users with paralysis and aphasia, who may often find it is very hard to communicate with a computer without using limbs.
This ADE will provide you with a quick introduction to using the web camera based head tracking and eye tracking techniques.
In this ADE your goal will be to navigate a user interface or a webpage and perform some required tasks by using each of head tracking and an eye tracking software.
At the end of this ADE, you will have experienced some of the difficulties of navigating user interface and performing tasks with head tracking and eye tracking programs, and be able to discuss the impact of using eye-tracking and head tracking as primary modalities in navigation and performing tasks.
Note: This ADE is intended to be completed using Windows.
1. To begin, please view the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAdRJ6BDHc , this video demonstrates the application, ‘Camera Mouse’, which will be used for head tracking in my ADE. This demo shows how you can use Camera Mouse step by step. You can get the camera to focus on a feature on your face and then by moving your head control the mouse. Hovering over the link you wish to select for few seconds can make selections.
2. Download and Installation (Note: This software requires windows system platform, it works with standard features of typical laptops or desktop computers, and do not require special hardware or other software support).
A. Follow the link to download Camera Mouse 2013 Installer program to your computer. http://www.cameramouse.org/downloads.html , after you have successfully downloaded the program, you would be able to see a file named “CameraMouse2013Installer2013.exe” in the file directory where you choose to download this program. Double click this executable file and install “Camera Mouse” into one directory that you preferred on your computer. After installation finishes, you will see a green square icon on your desktop.
B. Now, download an application program, “Aliens and Paint”, which is a painting program that uses the Camera Mouse, follows the link: http://www.cameramouse.org/downloads.html . After you have successfully downloaded this program, you would be able to see a file named “EagleEyesApplications.exe” in the file directory where you choose to download this program. Double click this executable file and install it into the same directory where you have just installed “Camera Mouse”. After installation finishes, you will see an icon called “EaglePaint” on your desktop.
3. Using Head tracking software: Now, double click “Camera Mouse” icon to open Camera Mouse program, and perform following activities.
A. Configuration. Click on Settings, then check the “Click” checkbox, and Set Radius to be normal, and set Dwell to be 3 sec. Also check the “Enable Double Clicking” checkbox to allow double clicking. As soon as Enable Double-Clicking is checked, a 2-click button will appear in the main Camera Mouse window, click ok and close the settings window.
B. Calibration. Look at screen and click on one feature on your face to start track (suggest using one eye of two eyes). After selection is down, slowly move your head for few seconds and then you will see the mouse moves on the screen corresponds to your head movement.
C. Navigation task. Control your mouse by using head, move mouse over the link: http://www.usask.ca/ and hover over that icon for 1 second to open this link in your default web browser, now use your head mouse to check what undergraduate programs are in University of Saskatchewan, and how many programs are currently in the Kinesiology college. After you have the answer, hover over the exit icon on your web browser to close it.
D. Open Painting Program. In Camera Mouse main window, hover over the 2-click button for 1 second to enable next clicking to be a double-clicking. Then move your head controlled mouse over the Eagle Paint application icon, hover over this icon for 1 second (to initiate a double-clicking) to open this application.
E. Perform Painting Program. After the painting program is open, you need to draw an image with your head controlled mouse. Press spacebar to start painting, now your task is to draw a cup on the canvas. When you have done drawing, press spacebar again and hover over the exit icon to close the application.
F. Close the Program. After you have finished all above tasks, back to the Camera Mouse main window and press control key to stop head tracking and then close the Camera Mouse Program.
The way we speak can convey information about ourselves, beyond the spoken words The tone of voice we use with the words can convey the meaning we intended as well as our emotions. Without the tone, as is often the case with text, it can be difficult to determine the meaning.
A. Perform task. click on this link: https://www.google.ca/search?q=eye+tracking+history&oq=eye+tra&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=eye+tracking+&oq=eye+tracking+&gs_l=serp.3..0l4.2263.2263.0.27188.8.131.52.0.0.0.260.260.2-1.1.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.JiLndGv4FtI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=d0ad7a1e82af5e37&bpcl=37189454&biw=1373&bih=710 to open this Google search result webpage using your default web browser, and perform the following activities:
1. Use eye-tracking control to scroll down the web page until you see the last search result.
2. Now use eye-tracking control to scroll the webpage until you can see the fifth last search result.
3. Now use eye-tracking control to scroll the webpage until you can see the first search result.
According to activities you have performed using head-tracking software:
1. How many colleges offer direct-entry programs in University Of Saskatchewan and what are their names?
2. How many programs are currently offered by Kinesiology College and what are their names?
3. When drawing a cup using the head-tracking mouse, which part of a cup is the most challenge part to draw?
4. Have you successfully drawing a cup on the board? If you have, explain how you did it, if not, explain, which part lead to fail.
According to activities you have performed in the eye-tracking section:
1. What is the name of the last search item you found on that given page?
2. What is the name of the fifth last search item you found on that given page?
3. What is the name of the first search item you found on that given page?
4. Have you successfully using eye control to scroll that given web page up and down? If you did not, at which part you fail?
1. Compared with the keyboard and mouse input, do you feel that head tracking and eye tracking are good/fast method of input? Why or why not?
2. Give three (3) different situations where you feel head tracking and eye tracking programs would be useful.
3. Compare head tracking software with eye tracking software, which one you think would be easier to use, explain your reason.
1. What were your expectations of this ADE?
2. Did this ADE meet your expectations? Provide a rating between 1 and 7, where 1 means not at all, 4 means somewhat, and 7 means absolutely. Please explain your choice.
3. Did you feel that the video(s) for this ADE was appropriate? Why or why not? Provide a rating between 1 and 7, where 1 means not at all, 4 means somewhat, and 7 means absolutely. Please explain your choice.
4. Do you have any suggestions for other possible videos?
5. Did you feel that the questions above got you to think about the real and serious issues regarding this ADE? Provide a rating between 1 and 7, where 1 means not at all, 4 means somewhat, and 7 means absolutely. Please explain your choice.
6. If you have any suggestions on how to improve this ADE, please include it here.
© 2012, 2013, 2014 USERLab
Acknowledgements: Created by Yichen Dang. Modified by Jim Carter.
If you have any problems with this page, please contact the Webmaster at
userlab (dot) ade (at) usask (dot) ca.